Monday, February 21, 2011

A Life Across the Ocean

A different angle
Hello, all!

I hope you all enjoyed reading my better half's take on the project in the last post. And in keeping with the spirit of hearing others' views, my contact at the orphanages wanted to write a bit about herself for people to get to know her.  She has to keep her identity a secret, but at the same time she doesn't want to be a stranger.  She has a very interesting story.  And here it is....


Hello dear readers of the Little Black Dress Blog! If you are here reading this now… you. are. awesome.

First of all, the fact that you are interested in what's going on around the world is outstanding. I applaud you for daring to look outside yourself and your comfort zone, for being willing to open your heart to realities that might possibly change you forever. Those of us who have grown up in civilized countries are blessed people. We say it, but yet sometimes we don't really understand it. Until we read about stuff that's in this blog. And then we understand.

I thought I’d tell you a little about myself, just so you feel like you know me a tad bit better. That way I’ll seem more like a real person to you, as apposed to just some random overseas correspondent :) 

The majority of my younger years I grew up in Omaha, Nebraska (where I met Lindsey). I had the typical American childhood filled with Girl Scouts, honor society, high school band, cheerleading, and volleyball. When I was a preteen I attended a church camp that changed my life forever. The adults and pastors were up front praying over us students- that God would speak to us and fill us with power. I went up front to receive prayer, and before I knew it I was laying on the floor, knocked over by the power of God. I definitely did not expect this to happen- what 11 year old would? 

It was then that I heard God’s voice speak to me audibly. He told me that I was going to be a missionary, and I saw visions of world maps and poor orphans. I woke up a changed person that night. For the rest of my junior high and high school years, I had no doubt in my mind about my future. While many of my friends struggled with what career or college they would choose, I just shrugged my shoulders and replied, “God told me I’m going to be a missionary, so I guess that’s what I’m doing with my life!” 

Some days were harder than others to remember this calling in my life. I remember one day in junior high the school counselor came to our class to talk about careers. She handed out a paper listing and array of job choices along with their respective salaries. All my friends started looking for the highest paying careers, so I felt that I should do the same. I decided that a pharmacist made a decent amount of money and didn’t require as much schooling as a doctor, so that must be the job for me. I came home and told my mom about it, without much thought. Later that night my dad came into my room and said he’d overheard my job choice. He reminded me that what we do with our lives shouldn’t have anything to do with making lots of money, but rather with what we’re called to do and love doing. I felt like I was hit with a brick in that moment. I was reminded not to let money or selfish ambition get in the way of God’s plans for my life. 

During my junior and senior high years I traveled to several different countries and fell in love with every single place. By the time I arrived at college, I was more than ready to begin my missionary studies. My senior year I fell in love with my husband and we were happily married a year later. We both knew we were called to live overseas serving amongst the poor, and we couldn’t wait to start our lives together on this journey!

So here we are after 4 ½ years of marriage with our 2 year old daughter, living our dream life overseas. When I say “dream life”, I really mean “God’s dream for our lives”. You see, any life spent serving “self” will not be a happy life at all. When we lay down our rights, our selfish ambitions and pride, and when we say “yes” to the Lordship of Jesus Christ and His plans for our lives, we experience true joy.

Some days are good, and some days are hard.  Many nights I lay in bed with tears streaming down my face as I think about beloved family and friends back in America that we miss so dearly. Often I find myself dreaming of what life would be like raising my daughter in the states where she can run on green grass and play on clean playgrounds. Where we can drive to Starbucks, walk around Target, or flip through books at Barnes and Noble. 

But at the end of the day, I have no doubt in my mind that we are where we are supposed to be. Every minute I hold an orphan in my arms and give them love and care they so desperately need, I am reminded that this is where God has placed me. I know He has me here for a reason.  

So I will end this post with an encouraging quote I heard in chapel my senior year of Bible College.
“If your focus is Jesus Christ, it’s impossible to miss your destiny.”

What is the purpose of life? To know Jesus and make Him known. Thank you for helping make Jesus Christ known in Central Asia!


Does she not sound like the coolest person ever?  Well I hope you enjoyed learning more about the moving forces that make this project possible! My love to all. 
A simple pink shirt over the dress. :)

Layers. 
Bring on the weather, Nebraska!

-Lindsey


No comments:

Post a Comment