Saturday, March 26, 2011

BLEACH!!!!

I'm BLONDE!!!!

And you know what? I had to buy practically the whole aisle of bleach products to get here. 

My dear friend Maggie recently returned from the Aveda Institute in Minneapolis, Minnesota and she said she could do my hair for me.  Well, little did she know that she was about to receive the challenge of her life.  

I told her I wanted to go platinum so we went to Sally's and purchased the strongest bleach possible. We bleached my hair the first time and waited the maximum amount of time for the color to lift.  Upon washing my hair out, we discovered that the color had only partially lifted.  

It was YELLOW.

like, yellow yellow.  I looked like a cartoon character!
Seriously, people. My hair was this shade of yellow. Horror!

Maggie comforted me and said that sometimes it  takes two bleaches to lift to white and assured me that we would try again the next day and it would be white.  So the next night we bleached my hair again. It turned a paler shade of yellow. Okay. This was better, but...still not good. 

Maggie was beside herself. She couldn't think of any reason my hair shouldn't be white.  She was also quite amazed because my hair seemed to have sustained very little damage. Frustrated, we schemed to bleach yet AGAIN the next day...

Round three went better. It brought my hair to a livable shade of light blonde, a color that some girls actually want in their hair. But it still wasn't that snow white, Last Unicorn kind of flowing mane we were going for.
I know. She is also a cartoon.

I was relieved that I could show my head in public again but discouraged that it still wasn't white! Fearing the worst for my follicles I said we should take a break from our intense bleach streak and give my scalp a few days to recover. So like three days later I texted Maggie to see if she was ready for one more round.  She was determined to make my mutant hair WHITE. So we got some more bleach and gave it one last go. If it hadn't worked that time I was prepared to give up and just live with whatever results we got. 

But the hair salon gods smiled upon us that day. The clouds parted. Heavenly rays shown down upon my bleach covered scalp. VICTORY!!!!!!  

4 times people, and my freaky follicles are still nice and healthy.  I think this must be my super power. I would've chosen flying, but this is cool too. 

Btw, I would like to say that my hair's difficulty is not a result of Maggie's competence.  She is excellent at what she does. It truly was just a freak thing. So thanks Mags for my snowy white locks!


-Lindsey

3 comments:

  1. Lindsey! Your hair looks lovely :) you've inspired me to go platinum again! An fyi tip for the future, use toner! You can get toner from any Sallys and its god's gift to blondes, seriously. I usually use the violet toner, but ash is nice also. Also, its not nearly as damaging as bleach! (I mean, you'll need to bleach your roots, but toner helps "tone" down the brassiness.) When I was blonde, I'd typically pick up some toner at least once between bleach appts to keep my hair white! Have a lovely day and keep doing what you're doing, girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh we used toner... trust me. it just took 3 times to even get it to a place where toning it would make it white. bizarre.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's crazy! Well, you did a great job, Maggie :) Maybe when I'm in Omaha next I'll book some time with you ;)

    ReplyDelete